Sunday, January 27, 2013

What's the Skinny?

Foodie-
According to "The Urban Dictionary" a foodie is: "A person that spends a keen amount of attention and energy on knowing the ingredients of food, the proper preparation of food, and finds great enjoyment in top-notch ingredients and exemplary preparation.
A foodie is not necessarily a food snob, only enjoying delicacies and/or food items difficult to obtain and/or expensive foods; though, that is a variety of foodie."

I am a re-enactor/living historian who holds this attitude about food of the mid 19th century. I'm curious about the foods enjoyed by folks of the 19th century. I'm curious about what foods folks of the 19th century thought complimented which others. When presenting a mid 19th century meal at events, I'd like the menus and courses to reflect what a person of the mid 19th century would have served. I'm passionate about how the food is presented and served. ...and I don't just focus on the wealthy folks.

In this blog, I'll feature food preparation, menus, cook books, recipes (still called "receipts" in some 19th century sources), tableware, dinning etiquette, and service etiquette of the mid 19th century.  I may throw in a few tips for food at re-enactment/living history events too.

So, if you're a foodie too... dig in! Soup's on!

No comments:

Post a Comment